From running a side hustle to launching your own e-commerce business, there are workshops and programs to inspire and support you to get started.
In 2020, we offered you the opportunity to take part in a range of programs and activities to help you develop an entrepreneurial mindset and skills; explore opportunities as a future business owner; and turn a business idea into a reality.
Our 2020 program has now concluded. Recordings for the sessions outlined below can be found in your Canvas community:
Getting started: How to turn an idea into a business
Do you have a business idea in mind? Hosted by Small Business Victoria, this three-part series aimed to provide the knowledge and tools to turn your idea into a thriving business.
Part 1 - Starting your own business: Get prepared and navigate your obligations
- Choosing the right business structure for you
- Protecting your company name
- Registrations, licences, taxation and permits
- What you need to know about insurance, income protection, and more
Part 2 - Starting your own business: Understand the key components of a good business plan
- Writing a business plan (business overview, finances and action plan)
- Starting your business checklist
- Resources and support
Part 3 - Starting your own business: Commercialising your new idea
- Assessing the feasibility of an idea
- Making informed decisions to proceed or cease activity
- The requirements needed to prepare a focused plan
- Stages of commercialisation
What’s your side hustle?
Thinking of starting your own side hustle? Hear from enterprising BCom and MBS students about their journeys establishing a side business while studying. Our panel shared insights on the benefits and challenges of running a business while studying, as well as tips on how to get started.
Busting Entrepreneurship Myths
What does it mean to be an entrepreneur? Our panel of experts and entrepreneurs covered common misconceptions in the entrepreneurship space and what it means to be an entrepreneur. Students learnt about support services and gained insights on entrepreneurship as a realistic career pathway.
- Laxmi Pun - Accelerator Manager, Melbourne Accelerator Program (MAP)
- Ivan Lim (Forbes Asia 30 Under 30) – CEO, Brosa
- Gabrielle Lim – Experience Designer, Arcadium Adventures and TRAPT
Starting an online shop: Reaching buyers in Australia and around the world
E-commerce sales worldwide are on an upward trajectory and are projected to double to USD$6.5 trillion by 2023. Have you ever toyed with the idea of establishing your own business either as a career pathway or even as a side hustle? Learn about how you can make this happen through e-commerce.
Also in this session:
- Jimmy Zhong, CEO & Co-founder of Syncio, shared valuable insights and learnings gained through his entrepreneurial journey.
- Jason Cormier from Shopify delivered a practical segment on how to get started so you can develop a successful e-commerce business yourself.