Stand out to potential employers by completing a consulting project in a team with an Australian-based organisation. Offered in both intensive and semester-long formats, Business Practicum will give you the opportunity to demonstrate your ability to collaborate within a cross functional team setting.
Benefits of the Business Practicum
The Business Practicum (BP) in the June 2023 study period will be conducted in-person and will involve travel to Sydney.
By participating in BP, you will get the opportunity to:
- Apply your classroom theory, and use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve a realistic business scenario
- Enhance your teamwork and communication skills, and demonstrate your ability to collaborate with stakeholders
- Receive guidance from an academic mentor and a project organisation mentor
- Gain confidence in managing yourself and feel ready to start employment
- Access industry networks and stand out to employers with proven project management experience
If you are offered a place in the Business Practicum, you are required to participate in all listed activities. If you are unable to commit to one or more of these dates, please do not apply.
Applications for 2023 Summer and Semester 1 periods have closed. Applications will open again for the 2023 June study period in early Semester 1 2023.
2023 Summer, Semester 1 and June
|February||Semester 1||June (Sydney)|
|Applications open||Monday 22 August||Monday 22 August||Monday 27 February|
|Information session (online)||Tuesday 6 September|
Access the recording here
|Tuesday 6 September|
Access the recording here
|Tuesday 7 March, 1-2pm|
|Applications close||11.59pm, Sunday 11 September||11.59pm, Sunday 11 September||Sunday 19 March|
|Round 1 outcomes (interview invitations)||Thursday 15 September||Thursday 15 September||Wednesday 22 March|
|Interviews||26-27 September||26-27 September||Wednesday 29 March|
|Selection outcomes||Friday 7 October||Friday 7 October||Thursday 6 April|
|Careers and Employability "Smart Resume demonstration" video to help you reach the green zone||Access here||Access here||Access here|
|Offer acceptances due||Sunday 16 October||Sunday 16 October||Wednesday 12 April|
|LMS modules due||Friday 27 January 2023||Wednesday 1 March 2023||Friday 23 June, 11:59pm|
|Induction training||Friday 27 January 2023||Wednesday 1 March 2023||Saturday 24 June, 5-6pm|
|Company project period||30 January - 10 February 2023||6 March - 19 May 2023||3-14 July|
|Assessment period ends||Friday 17 February 2023||Friday 9 June 2023||Friday 21 July|
You are enrolled into an approved graduate degree
- Students enrolled in an approved MBS graduate degree are eligible to apply. Please check the University of Melbourne handbook (click on Further information > Related Handbook entries. If your course is not listed, you will need to seek approval from your Program Director) or with Course Planners at Stop 1 if you are unsure whether the Business Practicum can be taken as part of your current degree.
- Students enrolled in the Master of Engineering (Biomedical, Electrical, Mechanical, and Software streams), Master of Information Systems and Master of Information Technology are eligible to apply.
- Other non-FBE students are not eligible to apply for any FBE practicum subjects without the prior approval of the Subject Coordinator. Proof of approval must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application close date. Late approval submissions will not be accepted and applications without the required approval will be withdrawn. Please note: students undertaking the Master of Commerce (Finance) are generally ineligible to apply, due to limited elective options available in the course.
- Students who have already completed one Graduate Practicum subject may apply to take another but will be placed on a waiting list and only offered a place based on availability
Your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is 70% or higher
Due to limited spaces, entry into the Business Practicum is competitive. Selection is based on a WAM for all postgraduate subjects successfully completed at the selection date, and is contingent on permission from the Subject Coordinator.
The minimum WAM requirement for the subject is 70% and the Selection Committee considers the following when allocating places:
- academic performance
- an overall match of skills, experience and interests to the available projects.
You have completed a minimum of 50 credit points
- Students enrolled in a MBS program or eligible non-MBS program must have completed a minimum of 50 points of their program at the time of application.
You have space in your study plan for this subject
Before applying, you should ensure there is space in your study plan for this subject. You can do this by adding the subject as ‘planned’ although this is not a requirement at the time of application.
You are available to attend an interview if you are successful in the shortlisting stage
Students who are successful in the shortlisting stage will be invited to attend either an in-person or online interview (dependent on COVID-19 restrictions at the time of scheduled interviews). You must attend an interview if you wish to be considered for a place in the Business Practicum.
You have prepared your CV and had it reviewed
Students who receive an official offer for the Business Practicum must submit a CV with evidence that the CV has scored a 'green' rating on the University of Melbourne's Smart Resume platform. Find out more about preparing your CV.
EmployMe provides tools, resources and videos to build your skills in job seeking, resume building, interview performance and more.
Applications for the February and Semester 1, 2023 intakes in the Business Practicum subject have closed. Applications will open again for the 2023 June study period in early Semester 1 2023.
If you have previously completed Global Business Practicum (BUSA90485) and wish to enrol in the Business Practicum, please email email@example.com. You will be added to a waitlist and you will be considered if places are not filled by applicants.
Login to Sonia Live using your University of Melbourne student credentials: https://unimelb.sonialive.com/.
Click on Faculty of Business and Economics.
Click on the Placements tab on the menu bar at the top of the page and search for the placement group you’re interested in applying for (e.g., for the 2022 Winter intake, this will be called 2022 Graduate Practicum_Winter).
Please note that the Graduate Practicum placement group will only appear in the Placements screen if applications are currently open for an upcoming intake. If the subject does not appear in the list, it is likely that applications have not yet opened or have already closed. Check the key dates section above to find out when applications are open for this intake. If you leave the placement group, we will withdraw your application.
Click the green + Join option. This will give you access to the subject application form which can be found on the Forms tab. You may need to refresh your browser for this to appear.
Complete all fields of the application form and click submit. Please ensure you take note of the application due date as we do not accept late submissions.
After the subject application closing date, applications will be shortlisted and students will be emailed an outcome within 7 working days.
“For students approaching and in the process of applying for highly coveted graduate jobs, the Business Practicum is especially pertinent as it offers invaluable professional exposure and experience that could be the final clincher between them and their dream job.”
- Harpreet Kaur Sandhu, Business Practicum with KPMG Australia
Access the information session slides and recording via your Canvas community.
Frequently asked questions
Can I apply if I don’t have any consulting experience?
Yes, there is a full selection process to determine your eligibility and suitability for the program. Selection is not based on existing consulting experience.
I want to take an online intensive subject over summer/winter while also completing a summer intensive /July intensive Business Practicum. Is this okay?
No, Business Practicum participants enrolled in the summer or winter intake will not be permitted to enrol in any other subjects that run in the same period as the Business Practicum intake. Both summer and winter intakes are intensive and will require 100% commitment from students.
Please note: This relates to the intensive stream (Summer or Winter) only. A normal subject load can be undertaken with the semester-long Business Practicum stream (Semester 1 or Semester 2).
Can I choose the company or type of project?
No, students are allocated to teams and companies with specific projects. However, students are given the opportunity to advise their areas of interest which we endeavour to consider when allocating teams. Students will not be allocated to a project where they do not have the technical skills required. Most projects are multi-disciplinary.
Can exchange students apply?
Exchange students can apply, and if they meet the criteria be interviewed. However, they will be placed on a waitlist and only receive an offer if there is spare capacity in the section.
How much does the Business Practicum cost?
View this subject in the Handbook.
Read about the experiences of MBS students who completed a consulting subject in Student Stories.
If you have any questions about the Business Practicum please email: firstname.lastname@example.org