Get ahead when seeking employment by undertaking a remote learning experience that gives you credit towards your degree. Global Business Practicum gives you the opportunity to collaborate with team members on a realistic business scenario posed by an overseas company.
Benefits of the Global Business Practicum
The June 2023 GBP will be conducted in-person and virtually. The in-person delivery mode will involve travel to Seoul or Tokyo; and the virtual delivery mode will involve projects in Jakarta.
By participating in GBP, you will get the opportunity to:
- Apply your classroom theory, and use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve a realistic business scenario
- Enhance your teamwork and communication skills, and demonstrate your ability to collaborate with stakeholders
- Receive guidance from an academic mentor and a project organisation mentor
- Gain confidence in managing yourself and feel ready to start employment
- Access global networks and stand out to employers with proven project management experience
Applications for the 2023 June period will open in early Semester 1.
If you are offered a place in GBP, you are required to participate in all listed activities. If you are unable to commit to one or more of these dates, please do not apply.
Applications for GBP January 2023 have closed. Applications will open again for the 2023 June study period in early Semester 1 2023.
2023 Key Dates - January (Summer) & June (Winter)
|Activity||January (Travel - Singapore)||June (Travel - Seoul/Tokyo)||June (No Travel - Remote Delivery Jakarta)|
|Applications open||Monday, 18 July 2022||Monday 27 February||Monday 27 February|
|Information session (on campus)||5pm-6pm Tuesday, 26 July 2022|
Access the recording here
|1pm-2pm, Tuesday 7 March||1pm-2pm, Tuesday 7 March|
|Applications close||11.59pm Sunday, 7 August 2022||11.59pm, Sunday 19 March||11.59pm, Sunday 19 March|
|Round 1 outcomes||Wednesday, 10 August 2022||Wednesday, 22 March||Wednesday 22 March|
|Interviews||Friday, 19 August 2022||Thursday 30 March - Friday 31 March||Thursday 30 March - Friday 31 March|
|Selection outcomes||Tuesday, 23 August 2022||Tuesday, 4 April||Tuesday 4 April|
|Careers and Employability "Smart Resume demonstration" video to help you reach the green zone||Access here||Access here||Access here|
|Offer acceptances due||Tuesday, 30 August 2022||Wednesday, 12 April||Wednesday 12 April|
|Induction Training and Logistics Briefing||Tuesday, 20 September 2022||Wednesday, 19 April||N/A due to remote delivery|
|LMS modules due||Sunday, 20 November 2022 (TBC)||Friday 23 June, 11:59pm||Friday 23 June, 11:59pm|
|Induction training||Monday, 21 November 2022||Saturday, 24 June||Saturday, 24 June|
|Students arrive in country||Wednesday, 4 January 2023||Wednesday, 28 June||N/A due to remote delivery|
|In-company||5 - 18 January 2023||29 June - 12 July||26 June - 14 July|
|Students depart country||Thursday, 19 January 2023||Thursday 13, July||N/A due to remote delivery|
|Teaching period ends||1 February 2023||Friday, 21 July||Friday, 21 July|
You are enrolled into an approved graduate degree
- Students enrolled in an approved MBS graduate degree are eligible to apply. Please check the University of Melbourne handbook (click on Further information > Related Handbook entries. If your course is not listed, you will need to seek approval from your Program Director) or with Course Planners at Stop 1 if you are unsure whether the GBP can be taken as part of your current degree.
- Students enrolled in the Master of Engineering (Biomedical, Electrical, Mechanical, and Software streams), Master of Information Systems and Master of Information Technology are eligible to apply.
- Other non-FBE students are not eligible to apply for any FBE practicum subjects without the prior approval of the Subject Coordinator. Proof of approval must be emailed to email@example.com before the application close date. Late approval submissions will not be accepted and applications without the required approval will be withdrawn. Please note: students undertaking the Master of Commerce (Finance) are generally ineligible to apply, due to limited elective options available in the course.
- Students who have already completed one Graduate Practicum subject may apply to take another but will be placed on a waiting list and only offered a place based on availability
Your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is 70% or higher
Due to limited spaces, entry into the GBP is competitive. Selection is based on a WAM for all postgraduate subjects successfully completed at the selection date, and is contingent on permission from the Subject Coordinator.
The minimum WAM requirement for the subject is 70% and the Selection Committee considers the following when allocating places:
- academic performance
- an overall match of skills, experience and interests to the available projects.
You have completed a minimum of 50 credit points
Students enrolled in a MBS program or eligible non-MBS program must have completed a minimum of 50 points of their program at the time of application.
You have space in your study plan for this subject
Before applying, you should ensure there is space in your study plan for this subject. You can do this by adding the subject as ‘planned’ although this is not a requirement at the time of application.
You are available to attend an interview if you are successful in the shortlisting stage
Students who are successful in the shortlisting stage will be invited to attend either an in-person or online interview (dependent on COVID-19 restrictions at the time of scheduled interviews). You must attend an interview if you wish to be considered for a place in the GBP.
You have prepared your CV and had it reviewed
Students who receive an official offer for the GBP must submit a CV with evidence that the CV has scored a 'green' rating on the University of Melbourne's Smart Resume platform. View the sample CV guide and find out more about preparing your CV.
The Careers & Employability Team has produced a video which demonstrates how to use the Smart Resume platform and its Smart Editor tool to achieve a green zone rating. Access the video on the Resources page in MBS Career Elevation.
EmployMe provides tools, resources and videos to build your skills in job seeking, resume building, interview performance and more.
Applications for the Global Business Practicum being delivered in June will open in early Semester 1.
If you have completed Business Practicum (BUSA90473) and wish to enrol in GBP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be added to a waitlist and you will be considered if places are not filled by applicants.
“I am convinced that the Global Business Practicum has made me industry-ready, with the first of many online client pitches and professional experiences. Therefore, I would encourage all students to shed their inhibitions and pursue the remote Global Business Practicum - it is guaranteed to make you feel confident and ready to enter a rapidly evolving working environment.”
- Mallika Dutta, Global Business Practicum with Two Hands, a company in Shanghai
Access the information session recording via your MBS Career Elevation Canvas community.
Frequently asked questions
Can I apply if I don’t have any consulting experience?
Yes, there is a full selection process to determine your eligibility and suitability for the program. Selection is not based on existing consulting experience.
I want to take a subject over the summer/winter while also completing the GBP (e.g. Ethics in Finance or Business and Economics Internship). Is this okay?
No, students participating in the GBP will not be permitted to enrol in any other subjects that run during the same dates as the practicums. GBP is intensive and requires 100% commitment from students.
Can I choose the team, company or type of project?
No, students are allocated to teams and companies with specific projects. However, students are given the opportunity to advise their areas of interest which we endeavour to consider when allocating teams. Students will not be allocated to a project where they do not have the technical skills required. Most projects are multi-disciplinary.
How much does the Global Business Practicum cost?
The cost of the Global Business Practicum is a standard University subject.
However, there will be additional costs associated with the travel component of the June 2023 GBP for accommodation, flights, meals, and other incidental travel expenses. More detail about specific costs will be provided to students at a later date.
Can exchange students apply?
Exchange students can apply, and if they meet the criteria be interviewed. However, they will be placed on a waitlist and only receive an offer if there is spare capacity in the section.
View the Handbook for more information.
Read about the experiences of MBS students who completed a consulting subject in Student Stories.
If you have any questions about the Global Business Practicum, please email email@example.com